results: dates and how to get your results
Home » Everything you need to know about the GMAT
exam » GMAT
results: dates and how to get your results
In this tutorial you will learn:
- how long it takes to obtain GMAT
- how the results are delivered
- how the final test score is determined
- how to send your GMAT
results to institutions
- how to request a review of test results
results: when and how
Let's begin with when. It all depends on two things:
- Which GMAT
exam is taken
- If it was paper based or computer delivered
The respective dates are:
paper-based (including GMAT
UKVI) : 13 calendar days after the test date. Officially at 12.00 midday on that day.
computer delivered: 5-7 calendar days after the test date
And don't forget the GMAT
indicator test that is currently available:
Indicator: 5-7 calendar days after the test date
How can the GMAT
results be viewed?
- They are available to be viewed online. They remain online for 28 days after the results date. Simply check the British Council or IDP GMAT
- They will officially be available in paper as the GMAT
Test Report Form (the TRF). This can either be collected in person or sent by post to your address.
- If you collect your GMAT
Test Report Form in person, take along your registered GMAT
proof of identity (Passport or ID card).
- You may receive an SMS on the day the results arrive to advise you. (not all Test Centres offer this service, so check beforehand).
- Remember that no results will be given by phone or sent by email.
- For more information, visit:
Test Report Form will indicate your overall band score on a scale from 0 to 9 and also provide a breakdown of your GMAT
band scores in each test area, namely, Listening, Reading Writing and Speaking. Your final Band Score is simply the average of the 4 scores. Let's look at some examples;-
- Listening 7.0, Reading 8.0, Writing 7.0, Speaking 8.0: final Band Score is 7.5.
- Listening 6.5, Reading 7.0, Writing 5.5, Speaking 6.0: final Band Score is 6.0 (25 total divided by 4 equals 6.25. Number rounded down)
- Listening 7.0, Reading 7.0, Writing 6.0, Speaking 7.0: final Band Score is 7.0 (27 divided by 4 equals 6.75, rounded up to 7.0)
- For more details, go to:
indicator test results
- The indicator test is exactly that: it provides a indication of your probable band score when you take the GMAT
- Some institutions will accept this provisionally for entrance approval purposes. But you need to check this in each case.
- For detailed information for all you need to know about this test, go to: http://upscexam.net/ielts-exam/ielts-indicator-test/
What is a good GMAT
That depends on whether you are taking GMAT
for visa or study purposes.
- Generally speaking, a Band Score of 6.0 might satisfy visa requirements but for postgraduate study an overall average of 7.0 would be more likely.
- Details must be checked with the appropriate authority because there are variations and a good deal of flexibility. For example, to obtain a work visa for Australia, an average GMAT
score of anything between 5.0 and 7.0 might be required depending on the type of work, length of stay and so on.
- For more detailed information on GMAT
requirements for visa and study purposes, see our latest article on What is a good score for GMAT
Sending the TRF to institutions
Here are the possibilities:
You have applied to universities and have received conditional offers pending your GMAT
- When registering for GMAT
, request that an original TRF is sent to the institution or institutions you have applied to.
- You can register a total of five institutions completely free of charge.
- A fee will be charged for additional requests
When you have your GMAT
results and make your university applications
- Request that your TRF is sent to the institution or institutions you are applying to.
- A total of five TRFs can be sent to chosen institutions free of charge.
- A fee will be charged for additional requests.
- Any request must be made within one month of the test date.
- Some institutions are subscribed to a scheme to receive electronic downloads of test scores. To check, please contact the institution concerned.
How to enquire about your results?
What can you do if you want part or all of your test results reviewed?
- Apply for the Enquiry on Results at the centre where you took the test.
- You fill in the Enquiry on Results Form.
- This must be done within 6 weeks of the test date (around one month after you get the results).
- You can ask for any of the exam sections to be reviewed.
- There is a charge for this.
- The fee for enquiry will be refunded if your score increases in any section.
- If there is no increase, there will be no refund.
- Results of the review will be available from 2-21 days after the request is made.
- The listening and reading tests are marked according to an answer sheet, so there is really no point in requesting re-marking.
- It only really applies to the writing and speaking sections.
- These will be re-marked by different examiners and their results subsequently checked against the original set.
- The length of time taken to complete this process depends on how many exam sections are to be checked.
- Under no circumstances will a candidate receive any form of explanation as to the scores given.
Take a look at our recent tutorials to help you prepare for your GMAT
You can download or listen to the audio version here:
| | | | | |